Monday, April 7, 2014

Starting a Home Based Business

Good Grief


A few months ago I brilliantly decided to open my own business. I know lots of people who have their own business and I arrogantly thought it would not be difficult to get my licenses, website, social media, business cards, invoices, tax id number, ad nauseum. Well like everything in life, it is a struggle. The struggle sometimes lies in the internet itself, or gaining control of my computer from other family members (note: my), or household duties which seem to drive one crazy when sitting amongst them daily, or any of a plethora of other things. Sometimes I'm actually able to put all these shiny objects aside and work on the business. Its plan, its details, its life.

Right now is one of those times, but here I am writing unknown persons about my "struggle". I am trying to figure out what exactly motivates me to work when I have a job. It's not the pay for sure. It's not my boss or my high yearning for success. But, when I work for others, I get up early, get ready, get out the door, get to work and work, pretty much for forty hours a week. No qualms. No naps. Why doesn't this translate to my job here at home. When I have client work, I am motivated to complete it as soon as possible, but when it's something for my business, it lingers. And lingers. Does this make me a bad person? Am I not putting forth enough effort? Do I care?

The idea of this blog is to take you, the reader, through the ups and downs of starting and owning a business. For now, I continue to wait on the state to send my license, so I can apply for more licenses.
3.26.2014

No comments:

Post a Comment