Tuesday, November 18, 2014

It's All in the Details

In addition to this blog, I post on LinkedIn. Today I started writing a post for LinkedIn and in the process realized that the meme that I had taken off of Instagram was incorrect. 

The meme reads "We were together. I forget the rest." And is attributed to Walt Whitman. As I started writing, I decided to find the year that these words were published, only to find that this quote is in fact of paraphrase. The true wording is highlighted below.

This detail causes me angst because we are surrounded my misinformation. Furthermore, it means I have to look up everything I post. The rabbit hole of Alice in Wonderland doesn't do the internets justice. (Internets is the part of the web that is full of half truths. It sucks you in and steals your time without any lasting consequence or knowledge.)

Mostly I am upset that I was almost duped into putting false credit on a paraphrased quote. Almost, but the details saved me this time.


Once I Pass'd Through a Populous City
by Walt Whitman

Once I pass'd through a populous city imprinting my brain for future
use with its shows, architecture, customs, traditions,
Yet now of all that city I remember only a woman I casually met
there who detain'd me for love of me,
Day by day and night by night we were together—all else has long
been forgotten by me,
I remember I say only that woman who passionately clung to me,
Again we wander, we love, we separate again,
Again she holds me by the hand, I must not go,
I see her close beside me with silent lips sad and tremulous.


No comments:

Post a Comment